Tuesday, September 23, 2008

I'm a PC and I don't care!

I’ve just seen Micorosft’s counterstrike against Apple’s ‘PC vs Mac’ campaign, which carries the theme Life without walls. And I have to say I like it…



The ad attempts to dispel the ‘PC stereotype’ by using celebrities such as Eva Longoria, Pharell Williams as well as everyday people who have an interesting story to tell. I like this type of head on approach by companies in which they directly address a previous competitor campaign.


Too often, large corporate are too afraid to address their competitors directly. As a PR consultant I often advise my clients not to reference their competitors by name when speaking to media – but sometimes I think ‘why not’. It’s obvious to the journalist and to most of the general public so why not address the competitor directly (obviously there are times when discretion is advised).


I think this is a good follow up to the Seinfeld / Gates ad, which took heavy (and unfair) criticism.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Agree on the pro anti-competitive stance (!!!). While classic media relations dictates a puritanical approach to avoiding competitive discussion, in an age where influence is driven less by mainstream media and more by conversations through social media, companies should take steps to call a spade a spade. While name calling is poor form, opinion leaders need to have opinions on their industries, and this includes their competitors. As long as you know your stuff and can substantiate your stance, you should be able to express an opinion that at the very least puts your product or service into context. To blatantly talk your own book all of the time is an old school tactic that mainstream media are sick of, and social media won't even entertain.